Friday, August 21, 2015

Day 163 - green iridescent circles


These were definitely a gift from my oldest, most treasured friend. I should take pains to point out that by oldest I don't mean that she is old, but that of my friends I have known her for the longest time. We met when we were four and it was instant kinship.

I don't know what the material is called that these are made out of but it changes colour depending on the angle you look at it. A little bit of Googling taught me about labradorite and its tendency to display labradorescence, which is not in fact a burning desire to chase balls or frolic in the river or even to lead blind people around the place. It is rather an iridescent optical effect or, technical term here, schiller. These may or may not be labradorite showing labradorescence, but I've learned a new word that I need to work into general conversation at the earliest possible opportunity. Do I know any geologists...?

No comments:

Post a Comment