Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 123 - silver bunches


A rather demure pair for Sunday. But since all they had to do was sit through a board (luckily, since the new chair took over, no longer a bored) meeting and then schloemf around the house reading and playing silly iPad games, glamour was not really an aim for the day.

I had an interesting little side distraction just now as I was deciding how best to spell "schloemf" (my other options were "schloemph", "schlumf" and "schlumph"): apparently a "Schlumf" is what a Smurf is called in German. Even more interesting (if you're like me and find etymology endlessly fascinating) is the fact that the word "Smurf" is the Dutch translation of the French word "Schtroumpf", which is what they're called in Belgium where the cartoonist is from. "Schtroumpf" is a word that the cartoonist made up one mealtime when he couldn't remember the word "salt"!

Sounds like something my family would come up with,

No comments:

Post a Comment