Sunday, July 19, 2015

Day 131 - Chinatown disc and chains


A Chinatown rather than genuine China pair for my second day in Kilifi. Today we took a dhow called Keteng'ende (which means dragonfly):


We sailed down Kilifi creek to where it meets the ocean, stopped at the Mnarani Club for a drink or two or three (we're on holiday!) and then, after a quick nap on the houseboat, sailed the Keteng'ende up the creek into the mangrove reserve to watch the sunset. They even let me steer the boat, unwisely it turned out since I kept getting distracted:


For supper we went back to Mnarani Club and then were intending to take a taxi or tuktuk back to the boat yard. Instead, three bodas (motorcycle taxis) turned up and we went with them, Hanging onto the back of a stranger's motorbike, sans any safety equipment, as he plunged headlong down a pothole-ridden dirt road in the pitch dark is certainly an experience I won't forget in a hurry. I was convinced I was gonna die at least nine times. But I didn't, so more earrings will still be worn. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment