Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 135 - Mr Price monstrosities number 2


Another winning pair from Mr Price, almost as ridiculously overwrought as the first one. They were my decoration for my only full day in Nairobi, during which we tripped off to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust elephant orphanage at Nairobi National Park. It's an incredible project and baby elephants are SO cute:


The guide's heartfelt explanation of the origin of each of the orphaned elephants had me in tears (which is not unusual for me, but still) and feeling guilty for being human even though I have never killed nor could ever kill a wild animal (aside from, you know, a mosquito). Their most recent baby ellie is named Simotua. His mother was killed by poachers and he has a spear wound on his head and his one foot is enormously swollen because he was caught in a snare. Poor baba.

(Side note: I have joined the Trust's awesome sponsorship programme and am now fostering Simotua so that he can be rehabilitated and released back into the wild.)

No comments:

Post a Comment